Serving students in Macomb, Wayne, and Oakland Counties
Summer Discovery serves several counties throughout Southeastern Michigan.
Interested in learning more? Join us for a webinar and get your questions answered.
Want to read more about the program? Visit our FAQ page.
Still have questions? Email us and we’ll make sure your questions are answered.
Questions about the Summer Discovery Program?
Check out our FAQs before you apply.
Ballmer Group is making an investment in summer enrichment for students in Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb Counties. We know from parents and community leaders that not enough summer enrichment programs for students in Southeast Michigan exist, and we know that barriers such as transportation and cost prevent parents from enrolling their children even if spots are available.
Beginning in January 2024, traditional and charter schools will have the opportunity to apply for funding to provide instruction and enrichment activities in summer 2024. In its first year, the programs will be for students completing grades K-8 in spring 2024 (Rising 1st – Rising 9th graders).
Michigan parents report that afterschool and summer programs help them keep their jobs, build connections to their children’s education, and keep their children safe and engaged in learning. However, parents also report that there are not enough programs to serve students; in fact, in Michigan, unmet demand for out-of-school-time (OST) is at an all time high. For every child in an afterschool program in Michigan, four more are waiting to get in.
Summer Discovery is a regional effort designed for students and families in Southeast Michigan, where many students need more access to learning and activity opportunities during the summer break. We believe in equitable access to safe, quality out-of- school-time (OST) programs that grow academic outcomes, offer enrichment activities that increase exposure and interest in careers, engage families, and deepen community support for afterschool and summer programs. We believe that ALL kids in Michigan deserve opportunities to succeed in school and to dream big about their futures.
Individual traditional public school or individual charter schools in Wayne, Oakland, or Macomb Counties who meet the eligibility criteria outlined in the RFP materials.
- For an individual traditional public school, District level information, including a letter of support, will be required in the individual school’s application to ensure proper contracting and payment. If awarded, the grant agreement will require both district signature and that of the applicant individual school principal.
- For an individual charter school whose legal entity is a Charter Management Organization (CMO), a letter of support will be required in the individual charter school’s application to ensure proper contracting and payment. If awarded, the grant agreement will require signature from the legal entity and the applicant.
Any school that meets the following criteria may apply:
- Conduct in-person instruction and enrichment
- Serve at least 50% free lunch population
- Serve at least 50 students during the school year
- Serve students completing any grades within the range of K-8 in spring 2024 (Rising 1st – Rising 9th graders)
- Early Decision Application deadline is no later than 11:59pm ET on Tuesday, February 20, 2024.
- Final Application Deadline is no later than 11:59pm ET on Friday, March 1, 2024.
We encourage applicants to submit an application as soon as possible in case any follow-up is needed.